Thursday, March 11, 2010

will

A milestone of sorts today. Boss invited everyone over to his apartment for a dinner and drinks get-together. I ate my proscribed PCPrison rations, including dinner, then headed over.
Turns out his caterer is some wizard woman who conjured up a stunning spread of traditional Japanese and Spanish food, from fried gyoza to onigiri and everything in between, including a strawberry shortcake, a chocolate mousse cake, and plates of chocolate.
I already ate, so I knew I wasn't hungry. I looked at the food. It looked and smelled excellent. Everyone asked why I wasn't eating, and I explained I had just started PCP and will have plenty of time to stuff myself silly AFTER I get peaked; there will be another dinner party.
To be polite I ate two pieces of broccoli and a shrimp. Was excellent. And I was satisfied.
I drank water and then some lovely tea and chatted with friends and co-workers. Then I left responsibly early, walked home, changed out, and hit The Yard.
Knocked out 650 jumps like I was watching TV. They were EASY. Had several runs of 100+ and I finally stopped a couple of times because I just zoned out and totally lost count.
Finished up my exercises, showered, and sat some zazen, thinking about work and some possible career changes.
As I sit here, I wonder about my will, my desire to do what I want and what I need.
I guess I am most proud and happy that I did not battle with myself and suffer by skipping out of the party early, without eating anything, to go sweat, alone.
I don't feel like I sacrificed at all; in fact skipping the workout, or eating the food at the party, would have been the sacrifice. I have spend over a week building up a nice routine, getting into the rhythm of PCP so that I can take it in stride when the real heavy lifting starts.
Some fried food and a few extra hours chatting up co-workers?
Or a lifetime of health that starts RIGHT NOW?
Easy call.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, good for you! I know I'll be facing the same sort of food temptations at a social gathering in about a week, and you've set a great example that you can still have fun and not eat the junk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the only way to go. To think about the things you're gaining, not losing, by putting your body first for a few months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, to be honest, WAY more fun to get into interesting banter with friends and colleagues than to stuff myself with fried food...besides, I can always have fried food later, and in reasonable quantities, once I am Peak'd.

    ReplyDelete