Tuesday, March 9, 2010

dinner out, PCP style

So some of the guys at work have been bugging me for months to join them at their lunch-time MMA / K1 workout. Today I gave in, and spent my lunch break with a bunch of sweaty guys who all had at least a 10 kilo weight and/or 10cm height advantage. Started with some basic wrestling moves, grapples, then take-downs, ran through some ground work like bridging and shrimping to get out of a mount, and finally did some slow-speed sparrring. I haven't done groundwork since judo in college, but at least some of my psuedo-boxing skills came in marginally useful.
But DAMN that is a tiring hour! Strange thing is what hurts most: my right calf. Huh?
Then this evening we had a team dinner and I proved that PCP nutrition guidelines are basically doable. I think I technically cheated a bit; my onigiri was probably too many carbs, but my protein was some lovely sashimi and basashi (is horse better than pork?) and I got an excellent green salad and they even managed to put the dressing on the side so that everyone else could use it but I passed. What is that really sweet green leafy thing that randomly shows up in salad? Damn but that is a fine veggie.
I also reasonably impressed myself with my ability to not partake of any of the fried and/or sauce-smothered stuff. I looked at it and thought "That looks great. Will enjoy eating that in a couple months. First, I must rock the abs to crush Hawaii!"
During dinner it started SNOWING, so instead of walking I took a taxi home and did my exercises. Was a bit worried about my calf, but managed to crank through the rope jumps as well as expected. Still can't alternate feet yet; that requires was too much coordination.
I also got my nobi-nobi stretch band thingy, but I think it's too short and will get a longer one like the one I borrowed when I hit Patrick's place last night.
I did the row pulls by anchoring the band on the couch leg, and did the standing ovations on my knees, hooking the band onto a well-anchored curtain hook.
Don't know if doing those on my knees is cheating or not, but I think I was correctly working my chest...though there really wasn't much resistance even though my band is heavy.
Shoulder pulls were tough because the band is so short I was really stretching it. Maybe I need to do those on my knees too?
Also need to figure out something for pull-ups. Can do inclined under the kitchen table, but at some point I will need a pull-up bar. See if I can find one that I can hook onto a door frame, like Patrick has at YG.
I have just grated a carrot and steamed some chopped cabbage...not entirely sure what I will do with them, but I am sure it will be another exciting recipe in my prison food arsenal!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah it's hard to find bands that are actually made for real exercise these days. There's tons of frou frou ones!

    ReplyDelete