Saturday, March 27, 2010

indulgence post-mortem

With a bowl of rice, that lunch was 450 grams. After eating it I felt well and truly bloated. Not pleasant. I distinctly remember pre-PCP eating like that ALL the time, and I am sure it did not feel good afterwards then either. Near half a kilo of food is more than plenty, especially when most of it is rice.
After eating I really felt gluttonous and kinda gross (the oil in the eggplant wasn't helping either.)
A sunny afternoon it had become, so I walked half an hour down to the local Starbucks, had a nice tea, and read a book for a few hours, digesting and feeling fat.
Got home with no interest in eating my required snack, so I did my exercises. I cut a few centimeters off of New Hotness as Patrick suggested and my jumping speed went up about 5%. Wow, jumping over 1000 times is FUN. Patrick has told us to try and mix it up with different jumps, so every now and then I alternate feet for a 10 or 20, but really for now I prefer to just stare straight ahead, keep my feet together, relax everything, and bounce up and down as steadily as I can, going into a serious jumper's high zone.
What I did not enjoy was how my stuffed gut was bouncing around. Urmph. Uncomfortable.
Managed to get through the rest of the workout -- why so few squats? Did 100 a few days ago, only 60 today...I am sure Patrick has his reasons; all will be revealed in due time!
Double-katanas were brutal: perfectly isolate the triceps and I could only manage 10 on the last set. Total muscle failure: excellent! Also my resistance band is so short I had to do them on my knees, band looped under my ankles. Standing up the band even at max stretch doesn't come up past my shoulders. Maybe need a longer band...
V-sits still suck. Maybe I am coming up too much with the upper body? Feel like once I am up I can't get back down, and have no left-right balance either. But damn I feel them burning into my abdomen.
So, lesson learned from the indulgence: instead of doing something simple like a piece of chocolate cake, I figured I'd just do a little more of what the diet plan says: a bit more rice, veggies with more oil and flavoring than usual, etc. It tasted great, but I certainly regretted it later. I am coming to an understanding of what is a reasonable portion of food to keep me healthy and alive. Being hungry after a meal certainly sucks, but being so bloated my now far more noticeable distended belly sticks out sucks even more.
I don't feel guilty -- I am sure part of the point of the indulgence is stress relief but also part of it is to learn how I have changed, especially my relationship to food. Plus I don't think I've OD'd on calories or spiked my blood sugar levels or anything; have not seriously derailed PCP, but learned a valuable lesson about my old eating habits.
Tomorrow is jumps only, but if I still feel like my gut does now, I am going to have to go off-plan and do some exercise or spend a few hours in the dojo, at least so I can mentally feel like I am not slipping backwards!

3 comments:

  1. Good indulgence wisdom. That's what it's all about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think for my next indulgence I should just eat the damn chocolate cake. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eat the cake!

    I love never feeling full after meals now. I've had thoughts recently, shhhhhh, that I want to weigh my food for the rest of my life. Horror!

    ReplyDelete