Friday, March 26, 2010

lunch workout

Totally and completely spaced out doing the jumps today. Very surreal. Had trouble getting started; kept tripping every 2-3 jumps. Realized I was thinking about it too much. So instead I focused on my posture: stand up straight, feet together, left and right hands even, try to keep the rope in a graceful balanced arc...noticed that I keep clipping my right foot. Maybe because I am left-handed and my left arm is out of sync with my right? Tried all kinds of things to smooth out the rope; moved my hands, out, in, forwards, backwards...and then I had done about 50 (I count in sets of 10; too much work to count from one to one-thousand.)
So: being mindful by not thinking about the jumps or the jumping, but trying to keep the rope smooth and the pa-TAP pa-TAP pa-TAP of the rope and my feeting hitting the floor in a nice rhythm.
Pull-ups continue to suck, but I managed to do all of the first set, though I could only get half-way up after the first one. But at least until the last set I was moving up and down. Final set I think I managed to kick my legs enough to raise my chin 10 centimeters. The final pull-ups was a bunch of isometric work: hanging with my arms slightly bent, absolutely REFUSING to go back down by simply incapable of bringing my body up any higher.
Annoying thing about pull-ups is they don't actually hurt that much, not like planks or shoulder presses. Patrick said that's because the back is just a giant slab of meat, unlike the thin shoulder which burns as soon as you do anything with it, and therefore the back doesn't really ever get to burn stage. Arms felt some tingle, but basically it's just a whole bunch of hanging there with bent arms that won't bend any more.
I figure at least I am working the some muscles or something, because I am dying after those. Planks are easier to deal with: just lay there straight and try to remember to breath. Of course breathing means moving my abdomen, which is not very helpful when trying to keep a still plank using my abs. Then again NOT breathing means tunnel vision and turning blue, as my abs are screaming for lots of fresh oxygen. The worst part is the trembles; I am literally shaking trying to maintain the plank. I use a timer: set it to 30 seconds, press START, close my eyes, and just try to breath. Don't bother counting or anticipating when it will end; too painful to try.
Just breathe, tremble, breathe, tremble...
Feels SO good to stop.

Also I continue to think about my indulgence. Maybe I am overdoing it, but I have been looking up the caloric count of various foods to see what falls within the acceptable 200-400 range: a few slices of meat for yakiniku, several pieces of sashimi...I am not particularly interested in having something sweet and I am making such good progress I don't want to derail myself by say pigging out on greasy Chinese food.
Wife and kids are gone this weekend so I will probably hit the office on Saturday to catch up on some work, run various errands, exercise in peace and quiet...and wonder what to indulge in.

2 comments:

  1. Ren
    you are in a really good place. I like that you are working on being mindful, I try and do that. I wish I thought about eating meat instead of the cookie. Next time!

    On the pull ups - try a negative at the end of the set - worth a shot

    Go Team Go

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've also been putting a lot of research into my indulgence. I'm partaking tonight! Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete