Thursday, March 4, 2010

i need a better title than "day 4"

First of all, I am sitting here with my daughter's Nemo soft icepack wrapped onto my right eyebrow with a towel, attempting to keep the swelling down. How did I get here?
Let's begin at the beginning...
Woke up this morning and made two culinary discoveries
1) As a substitute for mayo in my tuna, a diced tomato works real good too. (diced tomato + can o' tuna) * "italian seasoning" = crazy delicious
2) Given the plethora of eggs I discovered in the fridge, I decided to hard-boil some...and realized I had no idea how. Turns out it involves NOT putting eggs into already boiling water. Suffice to say 15 minutes worked just fine. When I ate the boiled egg at work in the afternoon as a wee snack, I trashed the yolk (seems like all the healthy people never eat the yolk; I am sure Patrick will fill us in on that later) and rediscovered the chewy goodness of a freshly boiled egg white. Damn. Fine.
New Hotness arrived in the mail. Black. Thick. Ball Bearings. Oh baby can't wait to jump you. Old and Busted, I hardly knew ya.

New Hotness

Old and Busted

Also I had a small soy chai latte at Starbucks in the evening. Not really half the grande that I usually get, but still, how bad can it be? Does the size "small" even EXIST in Starbucks outside of Japan?
So anyway walked home from the station in the crappy cold half-assed rain (spring? anyone? soon please?), changed out, and hit My Gym.
(Yes, that is a 4-car stacking conveyor-belt parking machine; ain't Japan cool?)

Jumps? Actually New Hotness helped. Still getting the hang of where to put my hands and what kinda speed to maintain, but I am slowly getting a bit better at this. In 3 months I might actually be able to do a couple sets. Hah.
Lunges: feh.
Pushups: fe-huh? HOW many sets? Seems we have an extra set here, eh? And a good thing, too. Cause that last set hurt.
And then our dear friends abs. Lemme tell you a story about my abs.
Went to fighting again today, my favorite day: dageki. We put on the gloves and hit stuff. Worked the heavy bag for several rounds, then did paired work. I was paired with my old friend Hawaii. She is a woman of indeterminate age whose body is the color and solidity of biwa, a Cypress-like Japanese wood that is incredibly dense, hard, and tough.
So we made a bet: if after PCP my abs are more solid and ripped than hers, she pays for a nice yakiniku dinner. Otherwise, I pay.
I made the mistake of making this bet before acquainting myself with her midsection. When she showed me the steel cables she calls her stomach I started calculating how much money I will need to spend on dinner. But it is good motivation, because she spends at least 2 hours in the fighting gym a day, six days a week. Plus karate.
And of course as soon as sensei heard about it, he made the remaining 40 minutes of class ab-intensive.
So yeah, today's ab work hurt. The way things are going I may have to cut down on the fighting gym just because I dunno if my body can take that much exercise in one day.
So anyway afterwards I came upstairs, took a shower, brushed my teeth, walked into the dark hall (everyone else is asleep) and smacked my face into the corner because I could not see anything and always misjudge where that corner is anyway.
Thus, the Nemo icepack / towel setup.

4 comments:

  1. I suggest that you put bubble wrap on all the corners.

    Love,
    Papa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ren, I think we now have the same jump rope.
    Sweet man. What a world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea about the tomato

    Got to eat dinner before th esun sets

    go new hotness!

    I think eggs are great - like eating an entire chicken - YUM

    ReplyDelete