Sunday, May 30, 2010

day 90: the end of the beginning

Day 90 was a day of looking back and looking forward.

First, I looked back before PCP. I distinctly remember telling myself and others that there is no way I could lose 10 kilos without cutting off a leg. I remember thinking how much I love pasta and carbs in general. I remember thinking I was in pretty good shape, for a guy who sits at a desk all day at least.
How wrong I was.

Then I looked at the early days of PCP, when 700 jumps seemed like too many and took forever, none of the exercises were more than 3 sets, and none of the reps were over 25. And it still killed me. When the food requirements were exotic and strange, the prep a chore, shopping a mystery, recipes non-existent, and results often borderline inedible.

Next I looked at where I am: went to Bairan with Patrick and Kazue for lunch, a Chinese restaurant I used to go to often. Ordered my favoriate yakisoba, sweet-and-sour pork, and shrimp fried rice.
The first bites were utter heaven; an explosion of flavors setting off massive chemical releases in my brain.
IMG_4060
And then I started to taste, to REALLY taste, the salt, the oil, the corn starch and artificial colors and sweeteners...and started feeling kinda nasty, and very, VERY full, so I stopped. Not exactly satisfied, no.
IMG_4070
By now I was starting in on a nice food coma, the dull and lethargic feeling I used to have after ever over-eaten meal. So we walked down to Starbucks to get some dessert and check out the final photos.
Again I had an old pre-PCP favorite: soy chai latte, chocolate chunk scone. For kicks Patrick and I split a chocolate muffin and white chocolate macadamia nut cookie too.
Again, the first bite was utter heaven; sugar and endorphins dancing in eternal splender from my tongue to the base of my skull. I felt adrenaline rush into the tips of my toes and fingers it tasted so good.
IMG_4071
And then I got a massive sugar rush; could not stop tapping my feet, felt like I was going to bounce off the walls, caffeine and sugar blowing out the cell walls in my brain. Massive buzz which quickly turned into a deep, throbbing headache behind my eyes.
Said good-bye to Patrick and Kazue and got on the train to go home. Was going to go shopping but did not feel up to it, so emailed wife and told her I was on my way come.
Caught up with her and the kids just outside the apartment, so we all went upstairs and made dinner.
It was a lovely feast at which I ate way, way too much. And as the blog a few posts below can attest, it was not a pleasant evening.
After getting some decent sleep and eating a proper, PCP breakfast after a proper if less-challenging workout, it was time for shopping!
Please note that I live in Tokyo, land of skinny Japanese boys and girls, so even at a place like The Gap, clothes are tight, low-rise, and small.
First stop was my tailor, at which I ordered a new double-breasted black suit and had my pants taken in. SIX CENTIMETERS. Which is an utterly ridiculous amount and borderline impossible -- another centimeter and I would have to simply order new pants!
Then we went to The Gap so I could get some weekend pants. I wear suits all week, so I only actually own one pair of jeans that I got about 20 years ago at The Gap. Needless to say they are huge.
I tried on a pair of 79 (30") regular straight leg jeans; waist was a bit loose but could not fit my legs into them, and they were so low-rise as to be scandalous.
Next a pair of 70 easy fit jeans; again the waist was big but at least the legs fit. However they were 12,000 yen! Figured for that much money I could have alot more fun than buy a pair of jeans I might were at most twice a week.
So gave up and went to the sale rack in the back. Found a decent pair of khakis and a pair of shorts, which were kind of baggy but had adjusters on the waist so I figured they'd be ok. Turns out the shorts were size S. Japanese S. JAPANESE SMALL.
Immediately anti-matter and matter reversed energy states and the universe as we know it collapsed in on itself when faced with the impossible reality of me wearing anything sized Japanese S.
So here we are, now (see a slideshow of all the results photos).
Triceps and shoulder:
IMG_4012

Biceps and back:
IMG_4024

The whole package:
IMG_4006

The Dream Team:
IMG_4057

And again just so there are no mistakes, the Before and After:
RenfieldBeforeAfter

Also, lets look at some numbers. No, not weight and percentage of body fat, but numbers that matter: money.
Here is my household spending on groceries and eating out.
PCP started in March and though I spent more on groceries I spend much less on eating out, such that my total spend per month was down:


Finally, the look ahead: rather than get used to eating modern crap food in a box again, I much prefer to do some decent exercise on a fairly regular basis, eat lots and lots and lots of real, actual vegetables, snack heedlessly on fruit throughout the day, and spice it up with the occasional fried thing.
I like waking up hungry and having a big breakfast, not going into food coma after every meal, feeling light, strong, lean, and fit.

Thanks to Patrick and Chen for making it possible to start this, and thanks to my wife, daughter, son, and friends for making it possible to finish.
Now it is up to me to continue.

7 comments:

  1. The end of the beginning...

    What a 90 days - pictures are awesome.

    There is no day 91 e-mail

    Go Team Go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree. PCP ROCK STAR. It was an honor to rock the PCP with you, Ren. The fact that you are on the other end of the Earth from me makes it all the more BADASS. See you on online and in the gym!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally awesome finish to a totally awesome effort. I love the part about sugar--so few people realize how powerful it is!

    Anyway. Huge, huge congrats dude! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! You did an awesome job and the results are fantastic. Look at all those big and small muscles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now on to the peak condition life that's open to you now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. just...wow. you did a fantastic job :)

    ReplyDelete