Sunday, May 16, 2010

lesson learned

So last night I had my final indulgence, which as Patrick recommended was basically the gluttonous meal I used to eat on a regular basis: Starbucks soy chai latte, followed by way too much sushi, and finished off with some sugary-sweet dessert.
About 30 minutes after the dessert, I found myself in a nearly forgotten but not unfamiliar place: sitting on the toilet, painfully relieving myself of the previous meal.
Looking back, I have always had a "weak stomach".
When I was in school I remember often finding myself in the bathroom of the nurse's office in a similar position.
After many years of suffering, I finally figured out, thanks to my mom, that I am massively lactose intolerant. And then it made sense: cereal with milk for breakfast? Problem. Bacon and eggs: fine. Bagel with cream cheese: problem. Bagel and turkey: fine. Milk with lunch: problem.
Pizza, pasta with cream sauce, all the usual suspects. So since I live in Japan, it has been easy to avoid dairy. Soy is plentiful and most things don't come covered in cheese anyway.
Once I switched off of dairy, my stomach got much better; I would only have issues a couple times a week instead of every day.
This condition is generally diagnosed as Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). So I did what I could; carried tissues with me, kept in mind the location of available public toilets, and learned to live with it.
And then I started PCP, and a funny thing happened: as Patrick predicted, I started pooping like a rabbit. Small poops, generally after a meal. I have been eating food and nothing but food, i.e. all stuff my body can process and use. So the only thing left to poop out is the indigestible fiber in all the fruits and vegetables. These past 11 weeks (with the exception of last night) have been totally and complete uneventful in that regard.
So whilst I am sure IBS is a legit "sickness" for some people, at least for me it was just "eating lots of crap that my body could not digest." Last night was a perfect example: a sweet drink, way too much raw fish including shellfish, with lots of sweet-vinegary white rice carbs, and then a bunch of super-sweet carbs for dessert. Stomach just revolted and got it all out as quickly as possible, probably not even bothering to digest what little nutrients I managed to consume.
After the meal I felt bloated and lethargic, after the toilet I felt weak and light-headed.
So: lesson learned!

This morning I woke up, HUNGRY, at nearly 8am, after sleeping a massive 11 hours. Immediately changed, went outside, and jumped for 22 minutes in the fresh air and morning sun. Then I went for a 22 minute run around the neighborhood: up to Azabujyuban, through Roppongi Hills, past the Chinese Embassy and back home via Sendaizaka-ue.
Then I did 8MA, took a shower, and finally famished I cooked up a huge breakfast with leftover veggies, the last of the granola, eggs, and chicken sausage we bought at the Nagoya Food Fest yesterday.
Though the quantity was more than I had last night, it was all FOOD, and I feel great and ready to spend the day chasing my kids around the park.

1 comment:

  1. It is a whole new world. I will think of you when I plan my indulgence. I think I am looking at Tuesday for lunch.

    Better nutrition and the loss of a life time dietary hassle -PIA.

    What a great 90 days!

    Go team Go!

    ReplyDelete