Wednesday, June 30, 2010

PCP 2: Electric Bugaloo

My annual health check is Friday August 6. One of my motivations for doing PCP in the first place was to get all A's on my health check and be in better shape at 38 than I have ever been in my entire life.

Now, one month after PCP, I find myself doing well.
I eat when I am hungry, mostly steamed veggies. When I crave sweetness, I eat fruit, often with cinnamon, sometimes with honey.
On weekends with the family, I don't bother stressing out over food; I eat whatever we are eating: sushi, soba, etc.
I still wake up every weekday at 5am, jump for 15 minutes, and do some kind of workout for another 30. I still go to fighting a couple times a week, and now I even enjoy running 30 - 60 minutes several times a week, too.
Sometimes I snack on something "bad"; senbei, beef jerky, glass of chocolate soy milk. Whatever.

I have basically stabilized, I think around 76 kilos and about 15-16% body fat...not really sure.
Spent the first couple of weeks obsessing about tracking my daily caloric intake and exercise, scouring the web for cool blackberry and iPod touch and apps and iMode applis and websites to help me track and log and monitor all the data...then I remembered some of the graduating wisdom of PCP, and I stopped.

And now I find myself exactly 37 days before my health check, craving a bit more...discipline.

Once again I recalled Patrick's sage advice, and will be putting myself through a mini-PCP (aka PCP 2: Electric Bugaloo). For the next 37 days, I will stick to the PCP diet starting from week 2 through week 6. I was going to do the exercises as well, but when I reviewed them they were laughably easy, and one of the first things Patrick taught is that it's 80% diet, so I will stick with my current exercise and just do the mini-PCP diet regime for 5 weeks.
I chose to start at week 2 because from then through to week 6 I had some excellent weight and body-fat and muscle-mass changes the first time around, and the menu changes quite a bit week to week (being pre-All The Vegetables You Want) so it won't be boring. Plus I have done it before so I KNOW it's totally doable.
My goals for this PCP2:EB

  • Much lower (as in single-digit) body-fat percentage, aka serious six-packs a-showin' (doubt I can drop one percent a week consistently the whole time, but I find it motivating to have near impossible goals)
  • Healthy weight (don't care how much I weigh as long as I am energized and lean and strong)
  • Have fun
As you can see I have revived the blog and will continue to blog regularly. I will also go back and re-read Patrick's inspiring daily emails from the original PCP, just to keep me in the mood. And yes, I will indeed photograph every damn meal I eat, again. I find the full transparency keeps me honest and motivated. Plus you love it, you really do.

5 comments:

  1. Well, welcome back! I enjoyed reading your blog when I was thinking about starting the PCP, and obviously it convinced me! Nice to have you along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean stabilization at 66kg?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to the food pics and the post-PCP-life advice. Bring it on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Electric Bugaloo, outstanding. You're on crack, you know that right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You need the PCP advanced plan man. We need to talk!

    ReplyDelete